Individual therapy is often indicated for students who are struggling with a variety of concerns. There is no charge for individual appointments at Student Counseling Services. SCS specializes in short-term therapy and many students attain their desired goals in 4-8 sessions typically meeting every other week. SCS offers therapy for a variety of concerns including:
- exploration of identity and values
- exploration and development of career and majors
- relationship problems
- low self-esteem
- mood disturbances or depression
- cultural exploration or navigating differences
- sexual assault recovery
- body image or disordered eating concerns
- trauma and/or abuse
- questioning sexual identity or orientation
- substance misuse
- academic concerns or motivation
For those students needing extended service beyond what SCS can offer, assistance is available in connecting to a provider in the Ames community or in the student’s home community.
The Office of Latino Affairs with the Iowa Department of Human Rights provides a compilation of Hispanic, Latino, and/or Bilingual Mental Health Providers as a courtesy to the community.